Thank You For Seeing Us Through This Past Year!
It’s no surprise 2021 has been a difficult year for families experiencing homelessness, and the team at Horizons was stretched to step up in new ways.
Thank you for being part of our community. Your support makes this great work possible. Here are some examples of what we accomplished:
- Nearly 50% of our families reported earning less than $10,000 last year. Our team responded by launching a program to deliver groceries including fresh fruits, vegetables and shelf-stable pantry items for healthy meals to families each month.
- Our Playspace team began offering workshops and playgroups to parents living in shelter, addressing isolation and building community. In addition, we successfully rolled out an outdoor Playspace Program, so children can play while confined to shelter.
- We moved into our new home, the Edgeley Family Horizons Center, and have increased enrollment in our early education program by 30%.
- Our early education center continues to provide nutritional breakfast, lunch and healthy snacks each day to our students. Children in our program also have access to critical mental health support that is so important for kids who are experiencing increased trauma and anxiety during the pandemic.
- Our new on-site library is stocked with 3,000 books in 9 languages including books that highlight diversity and inclusion; 83% of families served in our early education programming identified as non-white, while a majority primarily speak a language other than English at home.
- With the support of the City of Boston, we now have three Universal Pre-K classrooms, enhancing our curriculum to better prepare our students for the transition to kindergarten.
- We continue to advocate in support of public policies around family homelessness and early education. We believe affordable, quality early education is an essential part of a more inclusive community.
Our new fiscal year has just begun, and we have much work ahead and many plans going forward to advance our mission. Stay tuned to learn more about our new partnerships and our STEM curriculum!
Thanks to your support, we are helping families as they work toward financial and emotional well-being and build a better future for themselves. We depend on gifts from community and are deeply thankful.
Wishing you and yours a happy and healthy rest of your summer!
Your friends at Horizons for Homeless Children